High school hockey team holds moment of silence in memory of former teammate

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY — It was a somber night at a Viewmont High School hockey game Tuesday, where a team paid their respects to a former teammate.

Cade Galbraith, 17, died Friday from a drug overdose, according to police.

While Galbraith had not shared the ice with Viewmont’s team in about a year, they made sure he was remembered.

“It’s actually really pretty hard because he was always a good kid. I never saw him do anything wrong. He was pretty quiet,” said former teammate Cooper Bangerter.

Viewmont had three games at the Salt Lake City Sports Complex, and a moment of silence was held at the beginning of each one.

“Cade was a member of our family. He was part of the brotherhood. Anytime you lose one of your brothers it’s a difficult situation,” said Scott Hinerman, Galbraith’s former coach.

Galbraith died after taking a drug with three friends in Farmington, Friday evening. Police believe the teens had ingested LSD, however, they are still awaiting a toxicology report.

“It can be the first time you do it, and that’s the one that’s going to kill you,” said Barbara Crouch, executive director of the Utah Poison Control Center.

Many of the drugs peddled on Utah’s streets are not what they are marketed to be, according to Crouch.  Because police have cracked down on dealers and their operations, they continually see certain drugs reemerge in new forms.  When teens are told they are purchasing one type of drug, it is often something entirely different.

“Even if you bought methamphetamine on the street, you can’t be sure that what your dealer is giving you is methamphetamine and how potent it is, etc.,” Crouch explained.  “And so, I think that’s a good message that anything you buy…you have no clue what’s in there.”

In response to media inquiries, the Galbraith family released the following statement:

“Our son Cade was a quiet and gentle kid who loved riding motorcycles in the desert, playing video games with his friends and going to rock concerts with his father and we loved him very much. His senseless and tragic death has left our family shocked and grief stricken. The reverberations from this terrible event extend throughout our community, and we are grateful for the outpouring of love and support that we have received.

Please talk to your children about the dangers of drugs. Even one time use can have permanent consequences, and there is no way of knowing what substances you are actually ingesting, no matter what you are told.”

1 Comment

  • bob

    He may have thought it was LSD, but it obviously wasn’t.

    I question the story the kids told, too. Acid comes in VERY tiny doses. I can’t imagine any substance (except perhaps plutonium) that would kill you in that kind of quantity. A hit of acid is measured in micrograms.

    I think they don’t want to admit they were using meth.

Comments are closed.