Utah high school hockey team dedicating games to teammate who died after overdose

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOUNTIFUL, Utah – Family and friends are inviting all who loved their son to a vigil in memory of 17-year-old Cade Galbraith who died after an overdose last week.

The memorial starts at 8 p.m. Saturday on the large grass area of Woodland Park in Farmington, Utah.

Two other teens were sent to the hospital for allegedly overdosing on LSD as well but they have since been released.

School officials said Viewmont has extra grief counselors at the school Tuesday to help students cope with the situation.

The Viewmont High hockey team is dedicating three games to Galbraith, their former team member, and all are invited.

The games are Tuesday evening at Steiner Ice at the University of Utah; the first starts at 6:45 p.m. with the following games at 7 p.m. and 8:15 p.m.

Galbraith’s family has set up a Go Fund Me page to help with medical and funeral expenses.

The Cade’s family sent Fox 13 this statement:

“Our son Cade was a quiet and gentle kid who loved riding motorcycles in the desert, playing video games with his friends and going to rock concerts with his father and we loved him very much. His senseless and tragic death has left our family shocked and grief stricken. The reverberations from this terrible event extend throughout our community, and we are grateful for the outpouring of love and support that we have received.

Please talk to your children about the dangers of drugs. Even one time use can have permanent consequences, and there is no way of knowing what substances you are actually ingesting, no matter what you are told.

The family is hosting a candlelight vigil to celebrate his life and mourn his death. All who loved Cade are invited to attend. “

Viewmont High principal Dan Linford sent this letter to parents:

Dear Viewmont Parents,

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I inform you of the passing of one of our students, Cade Galbraith.  Cade was in the 11th grade.  He was a member of the hockey team and had many friends at Viewmont High.  Cade died as a result of an accidental drug overdose on Friday night.  It is still uncertain what type of drug caused Cade’s death. I have spoken to Cade’s family, and they encourage each of us to speak with our children directly and specifically about drug use in the hope thatother’s might learn from their loss and avoid a similar tragedy.

A team of district grief and loss counselors will be at Viewmont on Tuesday and will be available for students who are struggling or would like to talk.  We encourage students to look after their friends and if they see someone struggling to bring them to the counselors.  Let’s take care of one another.

Our hearts go out to the Galbraith family and those affected by this great loss.

Sincerely,
Dan Linford
Principal
Viewmont High School

According to a DEA fact sheet, “LSD is a potent hallucinogen that has a high potential for abuse, but currently has no accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.”

The fact sheet states users may experience visual changes and extreme shifts in mood as well as distorted depth and time perception and other visual hallucinations.

Overdose effects can include, “Longer, more intense ‘trip’ episodes, psychosis, and possible death,” according to the fact sheet.

5 comments

  • Amy Raves

    You cannot overdose on LSD. He was most likely sold a research chemical like 25i NBOMe that is being misrepresented as LSD and is lethal in large doses. We can thank the failure of the war on drugs and prohibition for this.

  • charles

    You can’t overdose on LSD that is well documented. This article is blatant misinformation, and propaganda or just at best very poor quality journalism.

  • Eric

    “there is no way of knowing what substances you are actually ingesting, no matter what you are told”

    This is very true, and a direct result of prohibition. Do you know exactly how much alcohol is in your beer? Thank regulation for that. Want to know why you can never know what’s in illegal drugs, much less what percentages of each substance makes up the product? It’s because people would rather bury their heads in the sand and pretend they can just sweep psychoactive substances under the rug rather than construct a regulated market place for these substances where the profits from their sales could be taxed rather than funding organized crime.

    This kids unfortunate death is the direct result of prohibition. If he had access to real LSD – a substance which has no known overdose potential – he never would have died. Instead he was sold some research chemical and told it was LSD.

  • Mike

    This has already been addressed but should be reiterated: it is not possible to overdose on LSD. In the age when organizations like MAPS are showing true medical potential from psychedelic substances, such as in the treatment of depression in terminally ill patients, misinforming articles like this are only going to set us back in our research. Stop spreading the propaganda and get your facts straight.

  • Vincent

    This is ridiculous. This poor kid was sold 25i-NBOMe, and extremely dangerous drug, very similar in effect to LSD and active in the same microgram dose range, but very easy to overdose on. It is not medically possible to die from an LSD overdose.

Comments are closed.