Elisa Barber from The Baking Hive showed us how to make her Raspberry Amaretto Trifle. Follow her on Instagram @bakinghive
Raspberry Amaretto Trifle
-1 3/4 cups milk
-3/4 cup heavy cream
-3/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
-1/4 cup cornstarch
-1/8 tsp salt
-6 large egg yolks
-1/3 cup almond-flavor liqueur (amaretto)
For the Raspberry
-1 10oz. packages frozen raspberries,
-1 cup heavy or whipping cream
-1 10.75 frozen ready-to-serve pound cake, thawed and cut into 1 inch cubes
-raspberries for garnish
For the Amaretto Pastry Cream:
- Over medium heat, pour into a 3-quart saucepan 1 cup milk, 3/4 cup heavy cream and 3/4 cup sugar. Whisk constantly until mixture comes just to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, mix 3/4 cup milk with cornstarch and salt until smooth; beat in egg yolks until completely blended.
- Into milk and yolk mixture, stir a small amount of hot milk/cream mixture. Gradually stir yolk mixture back into milk/cream mixture in the saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Stir in amaretto or almond extract (use 1 teaspoon only if using almond extract).
- Pastry cream into a clean bowl. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the hot custard (this keeps a skin from forming on the custard) and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours.
For the Raspberry Amaretto Sauce:
- Place frozen raspberries in a heavy bottom sauce pan along with 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 amaretto. String constantly, bring berry mixture to a boil and let boil for 1 min. Set aside and let cool completely.
For the Amaretto Whipped Cream:
- In a small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy/whipping cream, gradually adding 3 tablespoons of sugar, until stiff peaks form. Set aside 1 cup of whipped cream for garnish. Fold the remaining whipped cream into the chilled pastry cream.
Assemble the Trifle
- Arrange cut cake slices, covering the bottom of a trifle dish. Spoon some of raspberry syrup over cake, allowing some to show at sides of the bowl. Pour 1 1/2 cups pastry cream over and smooth with a spatula.
- Repeat layers twice more.
- Cover and refrigerate trifle at least 3 hours or overnight. Before serving, garnish with amaretto whipped cream, crushed almond cookies and fresh raspberries.