No. 11 Utah stunned in 30-28 loss vs Oregon

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY -- The No. 11 University of Utah Utes played a nail-biter against the Oregon Ducks Saturday, and a slow first half gave no indication of the explosive fourth-quarter frenzy that would ultimately end with a 30-28 upset-loss for Utah.

The defeat ends Utah's chances at taking the Pac-12 South this year.

Utah held the lead for much of the game, getting out to a 7-0 start in the first quarter on a 24-yard run from Cory Butler-Byrd on their opening drive.

Oregon managed a field goal later in the first, but those 3 points would be the only ones scored in the remainder of the first half, making it 7-3 as the teams went into the locker rooms.

Utah expanded their lead to 14-3 in the third quarter, this time courtesy of Joe Williams for 12 yards and a TD to cap-off a 5-play drive.

Oregon got back into striking distance later in the third quarter after a Utah three-and-out. After the resulting punt, Justin Herbert completed a pass to Jalen Brown for 29 yards and a touchdown to make it 14-10.

Another Utah three-and-out on the next drive gave the Ducks another shot, which they turned into an 11-play, 96-yard drive and their first lead of the game at 17-14.

Things looked grim for the Utes as they were prepared to go three-and-out yet again on their next drive, but the briefest brush with the ball on the part of an Oregon return man gave Utah a touchdown instead.

Dillon Mitchell signaled for a fair catch after the Utes' 53-yard punt, but the ball touched his fingers before ending up the end zone, where Utah ultimately recovered the ball. The touchdown gave Utah a 21-17 lead.

VP of Officiating David Coleman explained the ruling in a video posted to Twitter by the Pac-12 Network.

Oregon wasn't out of the fight yet, however, as their next drive covered 75 yards on eight plays that included a 25-yard run and a 31 yard pass and ended on a short rush from Justin Herbert for the TD and the 24-21 lead.

But Utah came roaring back with a drive of their own, breaking out of the three-and-out rut and chewing up 75 yards. Troy Williams hit Evan Moeai in the end zone for 30 yards to put Utah back on top 28-24 with just 2:18 left to play.

The Ducks rallied for a drive of their own, making it into the red zone in the waning moments. With just 2 seconds left to play, a pass to the end zone was ruled incomplete. However, the play was reviewed and it appeared to be an incredibly thin margin between a touchdown and an out-of-bounds catch.

The officiating crew reversed the call, giving Oregon the lead again at 30-28. Utah's kick return efforts fell short despite several desperate laterals, cementing the win for Oregon.

Utah falls to 8-3 overall and 5-3 in conference. They play next on November 26 when they travel to Boulder to face No. 12 Colorado.