Park City police confirm boys’ deaths were caused by ‘pink’ overdose

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PARK CITY, Utah — Park City police have confirmed that two 13-year-old boys who were found dead in September overdosed on the synthetic opioid known as "pink."

According to a news release from Park City PD, the Utah Medical Examiner's Office determined Ryan Ainsworth and Grant Seaver both died of acute drug intoxication of U-47700.

Last month, the police department announced charges were filed against another juvenile in connection with the deaths.

Park City police offered the following tips on identifying U-47700 and what to do if it is found:

WHAT TO LOOK FOR:

· White powder
· Can also come in liquid form; watch for dropper bottles and nasal inhalers
· Unmarked “stealth” delivery boxes - in some cases, these may have hand-written labels
· Boxes, vials or plastic baggies labeled “Not for Human Consumption” or “For Research Purposes Only”
· Pay attention to any packages being shipped to your house, especially anything shipped from Asian countries

WHAT TO DO:

· U-47700 is extremely toxic, even in small doses.
· Exposure to U-47700 by inhalation or contact with skin can be fatal.
· If you believe you have encountered the drug, contact your local law enforcement agency immediately.