Chef Franco Aloia from the Culinary Arts program at Salt Lake Community College shared his recipe for potato gnocchi.
Potato Gnocchi with Sage Brown Butter
Russet Potatoes: 2 lbs.
Flour: 1 Cup
Egg, Large: 1 ea. Whole
Parmesan Cheese: 1 oz. Grated
Olive Oil: 1 oz.
Butter: 1 Tablespoon
Sage: 2 Leaves
Salt: TT ‘To Taste’
- Cook potatoes. Roast or simmer with skin on.
- Peel cooked potatoes and pass them through a food mill or ricer.
- Allow potatoes to cool and fold in one beaten egg.
- Incorporate ½ Cup of flour and a pinch of salt.
- Roll dough to about 2/3 inch diameter and cut into ¾ inch lengths.
- Gently blanch dumplings in large pot of salted boiling water for about 1 minute.
- Once they all rise and float on the top remove with a slotted spoon.
- Toss the cooked gnocchi in a tablespoon of olive oil and spread out on a tray to rest.
- Heat large sauté pan and add a teaspoon of butter with a leaf of sage.
- After butter stops foaming add a serving of gnocchi and brown all sides of each dumpling.
- Add grated cheese and serve.
Note: Be careful not to overload sauté pan. Only add enough gnocchis to cover the pan with no more than one layer.