- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (5 oz.) can cream-style corn
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles, undrained
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large, oven proof skillet or 10” cast-iron skillet up to medium-high heat, add oil and melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Saute onion and bell pepper with salt and pepper for 3-4 minutes. Add corn kernels, chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 additional minutes. Remove skillet from heat; cool slightly.
In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper. Add cream-style corn, eggs, chiles, cheese, salt and pepper; stir until combined.
Add slightly cooled onion mixture into cornmeal mixture. Bring the same skillet back up to medium heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to th skillet. Coast the bottom. Pour batter into skillet.
Transfer skillet to the oven. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately with cilantro garnish, if using.
Sponsor: Dan’s Market