Ruthie Knudsen shares one of her most popular soup recipes with us. You can find more of her recipes here.
Skinny Tomato Basil Soup
• 2 stalks celery, rough chopped
• 1 small onion, rough chopped
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 3 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with Basil, Garlic, and Oregano
• 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth or 2 cups water and 2 chicken bouillon's
• ½ cup fresh basil leaves
• 1 (8oz) low-fat neufatchel cream cheese, cubed
• 1 tablespoon sugar or agave
• sea salt and pepper to taste
1.In a blender or food processor add celery, onion, and garlic; pulse until small pieces or pureed.
2.In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt butter.
3.Pour into pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until fragrant. (don't wash container)
4.Add tomatoes, broth, basil to pot; bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
5.Cover pot and reduce to medium low; simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Carefully pour 1 cup of hot soup into blender or food processor, add cubed cream cheese, blend on high until smooth.
6.Stir cream cheese mixture into soup, add sugar or agave, add salt and pepper to taste.
* If you prefer a completely smooth soup then process soup through blender or food processor in