SALT LAKE CITY – A USC football player from Utah under investigation after being accused of sexual assault has been asked to leave the university, his attorney confirmed Tuesday night.
Osa Masina’s attorney, Greg Skordas said his client was placed on interim suspension pending review of a Titlte IX investigation on Friday. Masina was required to vacate his campus residence by 6 p.m. Monday.
“Effective immediately, he was told that he could not return to any part or premise of the university,” Skordas said in a statement.
Masina was excluded from all classes, forbidden from any involvement with organized football team functions and told he could not participate in any university-sponsored activities, Skordas said.
“He was told that if he needed to go to the campus he was required to have prior permission and an escort on and off the premises,” he said.
Skordas said there was no hearing or due process.
As of Sunday, Masina was back with his family in Utah.
The football team placed the linebacker on suspension when allegations of the assault came to light.
The accusations stem from incidents that occurred over the summer with one woman. According to probable cause documents, Masina sexually assaulted and drugged the victim in California on July 14. She claims she was assaulted again when she saw Masina in Cottonwood Heights on July 26.
Court documents also indicate teammate Don Hill was involved in the assault that took place in California. He was also suspended from all football-related activities.
Masina nor Hill have been arrested or charged at this time.
If charges are filed against Masina in Utah, Skordas told ESPN his client will surrender to authorities.
USC coach Clay Helton released the following statement:
“As you know, we had already confirmed that Osa and Don would not be playing in our first two games. Under the University’s further guidance, it has been decided that they have been suspended from participation with our football team. Any questions related to that should be directed to the University.”