Beef and Cheese Loaded Potato Skins
- 8 medium russet or Yukon potatoes, scrubbed, dried
- 1/2 lb. ground beef or sirloin
- 1 large bell pepper, any color, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Iceberg lettuce, chopped
- Tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Prepared salsa
- Red onion, diced
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Green onions, sliced thinly
- Avocado, seed and skin removed, diced
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
- Cooked bacon bits
Roast potatoes until fork tender; cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out meat of potato, leaving 1/4-inch thickness on each skin.
Cook ground beef and pepper with salt and pepper in a frying pan until no pink remains on the beef. Drain. Over medium heat, stir in the refried beans to the pan. Warm through for 2-3 minutes.
Heat oil in large frying pan. Fry skins flesh side down until crisp. Lay each skin on a plate with paper towels to soak up excess oil. Immediately season the skins with salt and divide the cheese between the potato skins. Top with hot beef and bean mixture.
Serve skins with suggested toppings.
Sponsor: Utah Beef Council