Chicken Parmesan- Lightened Up
- 1 lb. (2 large half lb.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or parsley, chopped
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
Preheat broiler to high.
Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to make 4 equal portions. Place between pieces of plastic wrap. Pound the chicken to 1/4-inch thick pieces. Sprinkle the chicken with no salt seasoning and pepper.
In a large skillet skillet up to medium-high heat, add half of the oil and the chicken. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover with tinfoil.
In the same pan up to medium heat, add remaining olive oil. Saute onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in crushed tomatoes; add Italian seasoning, no salt seasoning and pepper. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan. Turn to coat with the sauce.
Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan in a small bowl. Sprinkle about the mozzarella cheese over each piece of chicken, then top with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Garnish with basil or parsley. Serve immediately.
Note: You can serve this dish over whole grain pasta.
Sponsor: Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute