Ichiban Sushi in Sandy temporarily closed; dozens of health violations reported

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SANDY, Utah — The Salt Lake Valley Health Department closed a popular sushi restaurant this week after inspectors found dozens of alleged violations of the county’s health regulations, but the restaurant reopened Friday.

Ichiban Sushi, at 109 W 9000 S Ste. 111, was closed Wednesday.  The health department listed the following violations in its Food Service Actions report for the restaurant:

    • The walk in cooler is unable to hold potentially hazardous food at or below 41 F.
    • The make table is unable to hold potentially hazardous food at or below 41 F.
    • Eggs are being held out on a table at room temperature.
    • Meat and cooked noodles are being held at 45 degrees in the make table.
    • There is no written agreement or statement from the fish supplier stipulating that fish have been frozen and stored at temperatures required to achieve parasite destruction.
    • The person in charge is unable to demonstrate adequate knowledge of proper hot and cold holding temperatures for potentially hazardous foods.
    • The person in charge is unable to demonstrate knowledge of the relationship between the prevention of food borne illness and control of cross contamination.
    • The person in charge is unable to demonstrate knowledge of the relationship between the prevention of food borne illness and maintaining the food establishment in a clean condition and in good repair.
    • Knives and peelers are unclean to sight and touch. The interior of the ice machine is unclean.
    • Employees personal beverages are not separated from food preparation areas.
    • Employees are eating in food preparation areas.
    • Fly strips are hung above clean dishes.
    • Raw shell eggs and fish are stored above ready to eat food in a cooler.
    • Hand sinks in prep area and by coffee maker are being used for other purposes.
    • Walls and ceiling are dirty in various areas.
    • Food is being stored on the floor in the walk in freezer.
    • Fan covers in the walk-in cooler are dirty.
    • Various ceiling surfaces are damaged.
    • The interior of the microwave is unclean.
    • Food equipment is not being air dried before being nested together.
    • Single service items are being stored on the floor.
    • Single service items are not covered or inverted to prevent contamination.
    • Bowls are being used as scoops.
    • Utensils are being stored in standing water.
    • Leaky faucet on 3 compartment sinks.
    • Drain clogged by hand sink.
    • Drain clogged in the walk-in refrigerator.
    • Food containers with white powders in dry storage room are not labeled with common name of food.
    • The mop is not hung to air dry.
    • The back door is being propped open.
    • Pressurized cylinders are not secured.
    • The hand sink is not sealed to the adjacent wall.
    • Wet wiping cloths are not stored in sanitizer solution.

“Due to lack of refrigeration and cold holding capacity as well as other facilities, practice, knowledge violations this facility is closed for operation,” the report said.

Officials said the restaurant reopened after the violations were corrected.

4 comments

  • Sebastian de Freitas

    Honestly I’m sure 50% of Utah restaurants would be closed if they had an inspection like this. The true question is has this restaurant have complaints of food poisoning or previous failed inspections where they were given the opportunity to correct this?

  • Elizabeth

    This is not the original Ichiban in the old church in downtown Salt Lake by 4th south. I found out that they are totally different places, just happen to have the same name. The downtown one is great, one of my favorite places to eat!

  • Jill

    Lots of restaurants are closed in this same scenario…. question is: why did Fox report on this one? Did Ichiban get on somebody’s “list”?

Comments are closed.