Rice and Beef Skillet (03.14.14)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (93% lean)
- 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups lower sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz,) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley, diced (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook beef and mushrooms with garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper in deep 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until beef is crumbled and no longer pink. Add all remaining ingredients to skillet. Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Top with green onions and cilantro or parsley, if using.
Sponsor: Dan’s Market