- 2 anchovies, rinsed and minced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Pinch of sea or kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 pound chewy rustic French or Italian bread, cut into 3/4 inch cubes (Note: best if cooked in olive oil and salt until crispy, but still chewy in the center.)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, cored and cleaned.
- 2 ounces fresh Parmesan cheese
Combine the garlic, anchovies, vinegar, salt and fresh pepper in a bowl. Let sits for 15-20 minutes to macerate. At serving, add the lemon juice, 1 ounce of the cheese and whisk. Add the eggs and continue to incorporate to emulsion.
To serve, gently toss the romaine in the dressing and place neatly on a plate. Toss the croutons in the remaining dressing and arrange a top the lettuce. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over top of each salad and serve.
Courtesy of Costa Vida- Chef Geoff Alter