Suspect in fatal shooting in Salt Lake City turns himself in to police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY – Police are investigating a homicide that took place in Salt Lake City Saturday morning, and a suspect was arrested Saturday night.

According to a probable cause statement from the Salt Lake City Police Department, Nicholas Valdez, 27, turned himself into police Saturday in connection with the shooting. Valdez declined to make a statement to police. Valdez had injuries consistent with being involved in a violent fight, according to the document.

Area resident Steve Adams said Saturday morning started unlike any other.

"We're quiet over here, mostly industrial; it's a good neighborhood,” he said. “I see a bunch of traffic going on, power popped off, so I came out to see what was happening.”

What was happening was the tail end of a shooting and the beginning of a murder investigation.

According to police officials, dispatch received a 911 hangup call around 7 a.m. from the area of 970 south 300 west.

Detective Dennis McGowan of the Salt Lake City Police Department said when officers arrived, they found a body and several people running from the scene.

“Police immediately began running or going after anyone that may have been involved because there was a shooting and a body on the sidewalk,” he said.

Investigators interviewed several witnesses from the scene and suspect there was a party or gathering at an upstairs apartment near where the body was found. According to the probable cause statement, a witness reported that she saw a violent fight between Valdez and the victim during the party. She said she saw Valdez with a handgun shooting in the parking lot. Security video taken from the scene shows Valdez firing a handgun on the sidewalk, according to documents.

Police said the victim is a man in his ‘30s who died from a gunshot wound to the forehead.

The murder weapon is a handgun, which police have recovered.

FOX 13 News will have more information as it becomes available.