Police investigating cause of hillside blaze above Lagoon
FARMINGTON –Fire officials are investigating the cause of a fire that ignited on a Farmington hillside Friday night.
The Farmington Spine Fire is burning on about 75 acres near 100 North and Firebreak Road, and the flames could be seen climbing a hillside above Lagoon.
The fire is not threatening any structures. Officials said air resources have been making retardant drops on the fire Saturday. Personnel from seven different agencies worked to control the blaze and divert it away from homes.
Police did interview five people in connection with the blaze, but so far no one has been taken into custody.
Deputy Mike Dittolla, Davis County Sheriff’s Office, said at least one person was detained for some time Friday night.
“One individual was detained for a portion of the evening,” he said. “And that individual has been released. They’ve not yet been cited. Charges have not been filed. I will say that in the particular area in question, there is a restriction or a ban against shooting in that Forest Service area.”
Farmington fire officials said they could not confirm the fire was started by target shooting.
Check back for further updates.
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Video: Hilarious compilation of dogs too terrified to pass cats
- Charges against Aron Ralston, amputee hiker depicted in film '127 Hours', dismissed
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Man pulls prank on friend to teach him a lesson about drunk driving