Safety Council reminds Utahns about fireworks safety

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fireworks are a fun way to celebrate Pioneer Day on the 24th, but they can also lead to injuries. That’s why the Utah Safety Council is reminding people about some important safety tips.

  • Fireworks need space from trees, carports, structures or other obstacles. Aerial fireworks need at least a 30 foot bubble of clearance around on the ground and above in the air. Some need as much as 150 feet clearance in the air. Always light fireworks outdoors in a clear area away from on-lookers, houses, cars and flammable materials.
  • Light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting.
  • Never try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks, soak them with water and discard them.
  • Only use fireworks as intended. Do not try to alter them or combine them.
  • Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
  • Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
  • Children under the age of 12 should not use sparklers without very close adult supervision. Never hold or light more than one sparkler at a time.
  • Children in Utah are burned each year by sparklers. Even seemingly harmless sparklers burn at 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit and can cause disfiguring burns.
  • Teach children to hold a sparkler at arm’s length from their body and not to wave sparklers or run while holding them. Stand at least six feet from another person while using sparklers.
  • Spectators should keep a safe distance from the fireworks and the person lighting the fireworks should wear safety glasses.
  • Do not allow any running or horseplay while fireworks are being used.
  • After a firework display, children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over. They may still be active.
  • Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a “designated” person light the fireworks.
  • Establish emergency procedures before you begin. Have water handy, and teach children to “stop, drop and roll” if their clothes catch fire.

 

For additional information, contact the Utah Safety Council at 801.746.SAFE (7233) or click here.