Fire damages Murray apartments

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MURRAY, Utah -- An apartment fire in Murray put several families out in the heat Monday night.

Fire fighters aren’t sure what sparked an attic fire at the Wood Point Apartments near 4000 South 200  East.

Around 7 p.m. Monday,  residents said they smelled smoke, then saw it billow into several apartment units. One apartment is destroyed, two others have smoke damage and a fourth has damage to the attic.

Amanda Sims is one of several residents affected.  She’s grateful she and her daughter evacuated before firefighters arrived.

"We went outside and saw some missionaries standing outside and then he ran out and said the roof was on fire,” Sims said. “He ran in and grabbed my daughter. I grabbed my computer and some diapers and we ran. I mean me and my daughter, we didn’t  even have shoes."

“We did start a second alarm, a couple factors, one we have a multi-family complex so in theory we have many families to evacuate and then with the heat index our fire fighters are on a minimal work cycle, 15 – 20 minutes and then you have to take a rehab,” said Unified Fire Battalion Chief Lee Ascarte

While no one was hurt, about 15 people were displaced.