’50 Shades’ movie gets a release date
(CNN) — We still don’t know who will play Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele, but Universal’s putting “Fifty Shades of Grey” down on the calendar anyway.
The studio announced Thursday that the “global release” of the eagerly anticipated adaptation of E.L. James’ novel will kick off in North America on August 1, 2014.
Sam Taylor-Johnson’s been tapped to direct the project, which will have a script written by Kelly Marcel.
With “Fifty Shades” just being the entry point to James’ trilogy, which details the increasingly explicit relationship between 27-year-old billionaire Grey and naive college student Steele, Marcel’s hinted in the past that her script won’t be PG fare.
“It will be rated NC-17,” Marcel told Entertainment Weekly earlier this year. “It will be raunchy.”
At the time, though, Universal wasn’t exactly on the same page, telling EW that the film still didn’t have a ratings designation.
™ & © 2013 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
- Police: Utah woman gave birth to, killed 6 infants in 10-year span
- Photos: 'Blood Moon' Lunar Eclipse (April 2014)
- Boyfriend, neighbors speak about woman accused of killing six newborns
- VIDEO: Simon Cowell apologizes to 79-year-old dancing dynamo
- Pedestrian hit, killed by FrontRunner train, police say