About 36,000 wings served at WingFEST 2013

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY – Sticky fingers and faces filled downtown Salt Lake City for WingFEST 2013.

Pierpoint Avenue was completely shut down Saturday as thousands of wing-lovers came for the day-long event.

Attendees paid a set price for the day and could eat as many wings as they liked while participating in activities. The day included a wing tasting competition. Wing flavors included barbecue, buffalo and signature.

WingFEST organizer David Marquardt, who founded Beehive Sport and Social Club, said the wings were judged by attendees as well as by a panel of celebrity judges.

"Everyone that comes in has a ballot, and we invite them to vote for their favorite wings and submit a ballot,” he said. “The crowd part of the voting counts for 75 percent of the voting, and for the other 25 percent we have a celebrity judging panel, which are people like personalities from TV, notorious food bloggers in and around SLC, and people working for places like City Weekly, Salt Lake Magazine and Salt Lake Dining."

Fox 13’s Allison Croghan was one of this year’s judges. WingFEST is in its second year of existence. About 2,100 people attended the event, which is about double the amount who attended last year. Around 36,000 wings were served at Saturday’s festival.