Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes (04.02.13)
by Jennifer Burns, What a Woman Wants Show
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup hot fudge ice cream topping
- 10 fresh strawberries or grated chocolate, optional
- Grated chocolate, optional
Combine strawberries and 1/3 cup sugar; refrigerate if desired. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter and 2/3 cup chips until crumbly. Add half-and-half and stir until just moistened.
Divide dough into 8 patties, about 3/4-in. thick. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining chips.
Bake at 450° for 13 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat whipping cream and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate.
To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top with about two-thirds of the strawberries, whipped cream and fudge topping. Replace shortcake tops; top with remaining berries, cream and topping. Garnish with chocolate if desired.
Yield: 8 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home
- Police: Utah woman gave birth to, killed 6 infants in 10-year span
- 'Blood moon' will be a sight to behold during Tuesday's total lunar eclipse
- Police: Woman admits to strangling or suffocating six newborn babies
- Boyfriend, neighbors speak about woman accused of killing six newborns
- Photos: 'Blood Moon' Lunar Eclipse (April 2014)