Seared Ahi Tuna with Wasabi Cream (02.26.13)
by Jennifer Burns, McGrath’s Fish House
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup prepared wasabi (mix 1/2 cup wasabi powder and 1/2 cup water)
- 4 Ahi Tuna filets (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup Cajun spice (i.e. Louisiana Cajun Seasoning or the like)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 daikon, cut into thin strips (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To make the wasabi cream, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and prepared wasabi in a small bowl. Set aside.
Season the tuna with Cajun spice on both side. Bring a large frying pan up to high heat and sear the tuna on each side for 30 seconds on each side or until the spice turns black. Cut into 6-8 slices. Fan out on the plate. Spread some of the wasabi cream on the plate or over the ahi. Plate with the daikon. Serve immediately.