Another possible ‘diamond’ scam in WVC
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah – Officers in West Valley City are investigating a fake diamond scam similar to another earlier this week in Orem.
In the Orem case, police say the suspect approached a woman at the University Mall and told her a story about how she needed to borrow money for her husband’s medical bills.
The alleged victim gave the woman money in exchange for a diamond as collateral, but the diamond was fake and the money was gone.
Police say another case happened in West Valley City on Feb. 16.
“The details in our case are very similar in fact to Orem’s case. We believe that these are potentially the same suspects and we would caution the public to be on the lookout for any kind of scam but more particularly this scam that’s going on,” said West Valley City Sgt. Jason Hauer.
West Valley City and Orem police are now working together to identify possible suspects.
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Utah ranked worst state for drinking
- Convicted murderer Martin MacNeill attempts suicide in jail
- Nearly all of Utah under winter storm warning or winter weather advisory