Jordan HS wrestling team accused of hazing
SANDY, Utah – Officials are investigating reports of hazing incidents in the Jordan High School wrestling team.
Canyons School District spokesperson Jennifer Toomer-Cook says that district officials received a tip for allegations about possible hazing incidents in the wrestling team from the parent of a student last week.
They won’t say what kind of hazing or how many students may have been involved, but in accordance with policy, they turned the matter over to the Sandy City Police Dept., who is now investigating.
“They are in the early stages of taking a look at the allegations are and seeing if there are any criminal acts involved with the allegations and talk the individuals involved,” said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold. “Hazing is not something that’s taken lightly. It’s something we need to investigate, especially if there are things that rise to a criminal act.”
There is no timetable for how long the police investigation will take and no word from district officials about whether any students have been suspended or kicked off the wrestling team.
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Washington woman unknowingly live-tweets husband's death
- Utah Supreme Court considers overturning child killer's conviction
- University of Utah resolves natural gas issue
- Shocking new gun control ad released around Newtown anniversary