Skouchers put new twist on winter sports
SALT LAKE CITY — For those who have grown tired of the traditional winter sports like skiing and sledding, there is a slightly more odd option: Skouching.
The winter sport requires a couch with skis screwed to the bottom and the willingness to ride the contraption down a snow-covered hill.
Nick Edwards said he and several of his friends created skouching a few years ago while looking for something fun to do. He said the number of riders on a couch is usually about five, but can get much higher.
“We usually put five people on a run on a couch, enough to push it back up the hill,” he said. “But our max, I believe, was like 20.”
Skouchers were at the Mountain Dell Golf Course on Saturday, and if you’d like to join them next time, they say to find them on Facebook.
- Officials report earthquake that was felt in Salt Lake Valley
- Experts, residents react to earthquake that shook Salt Lake Valley
- Hiker stumbles upon skeletal remains in Provo Canyon
- Body found in Memory Grove, death possibly related to alcohol
- Suspect in Taylorsville homicide in custody, man had ticket to leave country