Fire contained at Roosevelt natural gas rig
ROOSEVELT, Utah — A natural gas rig caught fire Tuesday morning just north of Roosevelt in Duchesne County.
Just after midnight, a fire occurred at a well on the Devon Energy site in the area of 2000 North Crescent Road. A new well is being drilled by Frontier Drilling.
The cause of the fire is not known. There were no explosions involved in the incident. Crews are working to cap the well and it may take a week or longer for operations to return to normal.
Three homes in the vicinity have been evacuated because of concerns about harmful gas. Evacuations remain in place for the area within a half mile radius of the rig. There is no clear time frame for when the evacuations will be removed. The residents are staying in local motels at the expense of Devon Energy.
No injuries have been reported.
- Police: Utah woman gave birth to, killed 6 infants in 10-year span
- Photos: 'Blood Moon' Lunar Eclipse (April 2014)
- Boyfriend, neighbors speak about woman accused of killing six newborns
- VIDEO: Simon Cowell apologizes to 79-year-old dancing dynamo
- Pedestrian hit, killed by FrontRunner train, police say