Mom who allegedly killed daughter agrees to plea deal
WEST JORDAN, Utah — A mother accused of shooting her teenage daughter and then attempting suicide has agreed to a plea deal.
Mary Ethyl Hansen, 53, was originally charged with first-degree felony murder. On Wednesday, she pleaded guilty, but mentally ill to charges of manslaughter and discharge of a firearm.
Hansen shot her 18-year-old daughter, Virginia Ray, twice on March 22 before turning the gun on herself in a supposed death pact.
Officials said the woman tried to commit suicide again while in jail on November 2.
Hansen is scheduled to be sentenced on May 8.
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Traffic moving again after hundreds were stuck in Virgin River Gorge
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Charges against Aron Ralston, amputee hiker depicted in film '127 Hours', dismissed
- Video: Hilarious compilation of dogs too terrified to pass cats