Poor air quality forecast this week
SALT LAKE CITY — Air quality is forecast to be poor for much of Utah this week, and the Utah Division of Air Quality is asking residents to look for ways to reduce air pollution.
Donna Spangler from the DAQ suggests consolidating errands and driving as little as possible.
“It’s really important for people to limit their driving and not burn wood in their fireplaces because it’s just going to get worse,” Spangler said. “What happens is wood-burning mixed with vehicle exhaust just makes the even worse. And that does have some harmful health effects.”
The lighting of fireworks, which is legal on New Year’s Eve, is also discouraged.
Those with breathing problems or lung diseases such as asthma are urged to stay indoors, as are children and senior citizens.
Everyone else should limit outdoor exertion.
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Traffic moving again after hundreds were stuck in Virgin River Gorge
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Charges against Aron Ralston, amputee hiker depicted in film '127 Hours', dismissed
- Video: Hilarious compilation of dogs too terrified to pass cats