Curried Turkey and Pasta Salad (11.23.12)
By Jennifer Burns, Norbest
- 12 ounces large whole-wheat pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt, or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked Norbest Turkey, shredded or cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
Toast almonds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Return the pan to the stovetop and add curry powder. Toast, stirring constantly, over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in mayonnaise, yogurt, turmeric, cinnamon and ground red pepper.
Combine turkey, raisins, scallions, celery and the reserved pasta in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Garnish with the toasted almonds.