Turkey and Apple Dressing (11.22.12)
By Jennifer Burns, Norbest
- 16-ounce bag stuffing cubes or 8-10 pieces bread, torn
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan and topping
- 1 pound Norbest Turkey Sausage or Norbest Ground Turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 apples Granny Smith or Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Put the stuffing cubes or bread in a large bowl and set aside. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage or ground turkey and break up. Cook until it loses most of its pink color, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey and pan drippings to the stuffing cubes or bread. Melt the remaining butter in the pan. Add the onion, apple, celery, salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables get soft, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and parsley and bring to a boil.
Pour the vegetable mixture over the stuffing cubes and toss until evenly moistened. Mix in the walnuts and eggs. Loosely pack the dressing in the prepared pan and cook uncovered until the top forms a crust, about 40 minutes. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of turkey pan drippings or melted butter over the top. Cook until the top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes more. Set immediately.