Pilot dead after plane crashes in Morgan County
MORGAN COUNTY, Utah – A pilot is dead after his plane crashed in Morgan County on Thursday.
Morgan County Sheriff’s officials say a single-engine plane carrying just a pilot, identified as 50-year-old Darren Tidwell of Huntsville, left the Morgan City Airport at 6:30 Thursday morning. When the plane didn’t arrive as scheduled, family began searching for the plane by air but were unable to find it.
Shortly before 6 p.m., a pilot heading to the Morgan airport spotted wreckage and notified the Sheriff’s Department search and rescue crews were able to locate the plane and the pilot about 5 miles north of the Morgan airport. Rescuers say the crash appeared very violent and the plane was nearly demolished. Tidwell was found dead at the scene.
Tidwell was reportedly very experience and had been a pilot in the military.
The cause of the crash is still under investigation.
- Traffic moving again after hundreds were stuck in Virgin River Gorge
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Video: Hilarious compilation of dogs too terrified to pass cats
- Victim in fatal snowmobile accident was stationed at Hill Air Force Base