New flex lanes open on 5400 South in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE, Utah — Starting on Wednesday, drivers will see a change to the traffic pattern on 5400 South in Taylorsville.
The Utah Department of Transportation has installed flex lanes on the roadway between Redwood Road and Bangerter Highway.
During the morning and evening commutes, the lanes will change directions to accommodate the heavier flow of traffic.
Between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m., four lanes will be open for traffic traveling eastbound. Two lanes will be available for westbound traffic and there will be another lane to allow turning.
Between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., four lanes will be used for westbound traffic. Two lanes will be open for eastbound traffic and another lane will still be used for turning.
At off-peak times, there will be three lanes assigned to each direction, with a middle turn lane.
There are no barrier in the roadway to help guide drivers. Instead, UDOT has installed indicator lights above the lanes along the roadway to show the purpose of a specific lane.
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Washington woman unknowingly live-tweets husband's death
- Utah Supreme Court considers overturning child killer's conviction
- University of Utah resolves natural gas issue
- Shocking new gun control ad released around Newtown anniversary