Spaghetti Squash in a Cilantro Pesto Sauce (09.18.12)
by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (4 pounds)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the cilantro, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Turn on the blender and drizzle in 1 cup of the oil.
In a large skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium to high heat. Sauté the mushrooms and onion until tender. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Add squash and pesto sauce into the skillet. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese. Cook another minute until it melts.
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Traffic moving again after hundreds were stuck in Virgin River Gorge
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Charges against Aron Ralston, amputee hiker depicted in film '127 Hours', dismissed
- Video: Hilarious compilation of dogs too terrified to pass cats