Fish Tacos with White Sauce (05.22.12)
by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- 1 pound white fish (i.e. cod, tilapia)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup coleslaw or shredded cabbage
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Make the White Sauce (listed below).
Season the fish with salt and pepper. Lay out 3 plates or large bowl and place the flour in the first, eggs in the second and bread crumbs in the third. Dip the fish in the flour, shake off the excess. Dip into the eggs and then coat in the breadcrumbs. Bring the oil up to a medium to high heat. Cook the coated fish on each side for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and depending on thickness.
Heat the tortillas in a dry pan for 1 minute on each side. Fill each tortilla with some of the cooked fish, coleslaw and top with white sauce.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced capers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate for at least an hour for best flavor.