Spiedies (pronounced speedies) are an Italian grilled meat sandwich. The marinated meat is grilled on a skewer and then the meat is placed into Italian bread, usually served without any additional condiments. They are famous in Binghamton area of New York State.
You will need wooden or metal skewers1 ¼ pounds Chicken breast, boneless & skinless½ Cup Olive Oil¼ Cup Lemon Juice¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar4 Garlic Cloves finely chopped or pressed1 Tablespoon Dried Basil1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano1 ½ teaspoon Salt½ teaspoon black pepper1 Tablespoon dried mint or 3 Tablespoon fresh mint sliced (optional)4-6 Slices of Italian Bread or hot dog buns1. Dice the Chicken into 1 inch cubes.
2. Whisk together marinade ingredients together.
3. Set aside approximately 1/3 cup of the marinade for drizzling over finished sandwiches.
4. In a large plastic bag, add marinade to chicken and refrigerate 4 hours to 3 days. The acid of the marinade will tenderize the meat. Chicken needs less time than beef.
5. When ready to cook preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
6. Thread 5 or 6 cubes onto metal or bamboo skewers (soak in water to prevent burning). Discard the remaining used marinate.
7. Grill for 3 minutes on each side until meat reaches 170 degrees.
8. Place 1 or 2 skewers of meat in the bun and grip the meat firmly with the bread and pull out the skewer.
9. Drizzle the cooked meat with the remaining sauce.
10. Eat and enjoy!
You can use Lamb (which is traditional), or beef, pork or venison. They all taste great. The mint taste best with the lamb and chicken.