Spontaneous combustion of oily rags causes fire at Salt Lake City company

SALT LAKE CITY -- Investigators say spontaneous combustion caused a fire at a Salt Lake City business early Sunday morning.

Crews were called to the area of 1658 South 4370 West just before 1 a.m.

Firefighters with the Salt Lake City Fire Department arrived to an active fire but had it under control in about 30 minutes.

No one was injured, but damage at the packaged food company is estimated to be between $80,000 and $100,000.

The cause of the fire was spontaneous combustion of oily rags stored in bins, the department said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.