Red Cross offers 4th of July safety tips

SALT LAKE CITY — FOX 13 and the Red Cross Utah and Nevada Region want everyone to celebrate Independence Day safely.

The Red Cross offered the following safety tips to help you enjoy the holiday without injury:

FIREWORKS
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show put on by professionals. Stay at least 500 feet away from the show. Many states outlaw most fireworks. Leave any area immediately where untrained amateurs are using fireworks. If you are setting fireworks off at home, follow these safety steps:

– Never give fireworks to small children, and never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials. Always follow the instructions on the packaging.
– Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
– Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
– Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
– Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.

HEAT SAFETY
-Hot cars can be deadly. Never leave children or pets in your vehicle. The inside temperature of the car can quickly reach 120 degrees.
-Check on animals frequently to ensure that they are not suffering from the heat. Make sure they have plenty of cool water.
– Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
– Avoid extreme temperature changes.
– Wear loose-fitting, lightweight clothing. Avoid dark colors which absorb the sun’s rays.
– Check on family, friends and neighbors who do not have air conditioning, who spend much of their time alone or who are more likely to be affected by the heat. If someone doesn’t have air conditioning, they should seek relief from the heat during the warmest part of the day in places like schools, libraries, theaters, malls, etc.

PICNIC SAFETY
– Don’t leave food out in the sun. Keep perishable foods in a cooler with ice or freezer gel packs.
– Wash your hands before preparing the food.
– If you are going to cook on a grill, always supervise the grill when in use. Don’t add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited. Use the long-handled tools especially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
– Never grill indoors. Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
– Make sure everyone, including the pets, stays away from the grill.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.