4-year-old boy loses hand to dog bite in Layton

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAYTON, Utah -- A dog bit a four-year-old boy in Layton Sunday afternoon, seriously injuring him.

The boy was recovering Sunday night after having surgery at Primary Children's Hospital.

Layton Fire Battalion Chief, Jason Cook, says the incident took place around 3:45 p.m. at 1042 North 3575 West.

The boy was in his backyard, and had a sock on his hand and was attempting to play with two Husky breed dogs through a fence.

One of the dogs bit the boy with tremendous force.

"He lost his hand from about this point down," Cook said while pointing above his own wrist.

After hours of searching, there was no sign of the boy's severed limb.

"There is fear that it was probably ingested by the dog that bit him," Cook said. "So at this point it does not appear that reattachment is going to be an option for us."

Neighbor Stacy Taft watched in horror as the tragedy played out.

"We've talked to the kids about still being cautious around other animals," Taft said. " Not all animals are always nice or they may feel threatened at some kind of action they might do."

Davis Animal Control officers took both dogs and placed them into quarantine while the investigation continues.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.