Fire reported in Alta apartments after natural gas leak leads to explosion

ALTA, Utah — An apartment fire was reported in Alta Saturday afternoon after officials said a natural gas leak led to an explosion.

Officials with the Unified Fire Authority said the fire was reported near 9700 E. Bypass Road.

Keith Garner with Unified Fire said a resident smelled natural gas and exited the residence and notified authorities. Moments later, the resident heard an explosion.

Garner said that no one else was inside the residence when the fire occurred.

No surrounding structures were affected, Garner said.

Details regarding the damage the explosion caused or if anyone was injured were not available at the time of this report.

This is a breaking news story. Additional details will be posted as they become available.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.