Firefighters remind residents Christmas trees can be volatile after house fire displaces family in Sandy

SANDY, Utah -- Two pets were killed and a family has been displaced after a house fire, which investigators believe was sparked in part due to a Christmas tree.

Battalion Chief Eric Larson of the Sandy Fire Department said they responded to the home near 12000 South and 1200 East  around 12:30 a.m. Thursday.

Crews arrived to find all occupants of the home had evacuated, and crews extinguished the fire in a matter of minutes.

One person suffered minor smoke inhalation but did not require transport to a hospital. Two cats were killed in the fire.

"Fire is still under investigation at this time," Larson said. "We do believe that it had something to do with a Christmas tree, so just a reminder to folks about live Christmas trees and how volatile they can be, and a reminder for everybody to check their smoke detectors and make sure they’re working as well.”

The damage is estimated at $200,000 and the family has been displaced. The Red Ross is assisting the affected residents.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.