Residents asked to stay inside, ‘close all windows’ after East Carbon landfill fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CARBON COUNTY - Residents were warned to stay inside, and people with lung issues were advised to leave East Carbon after a fire broke out Monday evening.

According to Jeramy Jorgensen, Fire Warden for Emery and Carbon County, the fire occurred at the ECDC landfill.

Jorgensen said that railroad ties were burning at the landfill.

This is the second time the same type of fire has been reported at the landfill. Last Wednesday, the same type of fire was extinguished by fire crews.

"There were like, seven explosions down there," Mark Olsen, a resident of Carbon County, recalled. "That's the second time this week."

When asked about the fire, Gilbert Palacios, a spokesman for ECDC, said, "I'm right in the middle of putting this out right now. Working hard to get it smothered."

Palacios stated that ECDC officials did not know the cause of last week's fire.

"You just look out the window and there was this plume of smoke everywhere," Olsen recalled. "They even canceled their baseball practice."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.