Hoover Dam bridge shut down for hours after report of man with gun

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Troopers responded to the call of an armed subject, in an armored vehicle, blocking US 93 at the Pat Tillman Bridge, which crosses the Colorado River at Hoover Dam.

By Hollie Silverman and Steve Almasy, CNN

A masked man blocked off US 93 near the Hoover Dam on Friday by parking an armored truck on the highway. He stood for hours outside it holding up protest signs before he fled to Arizona and was taken into custody, officials said.

Trooper Travis Smaka with the Nevada Highway Patrol said there were unconfirmed reports that the man had a gun.

The Nevada Highway Patrol Southern Command tweeted: “Suspect did cross into AZ where he has been taken into custody without incident.”

The Hoover Dam is on the border between Arizona and Nevada. The tweet did not indicate whether the suspect had a gun.

The highway patrol responded around noon PT to a call of an armed suspect. The man had parked a black armored truck with a note in the driver’s side window across all lanes on one side of the highway. Police said the man at times held up a sign of protest.

After two hours, he drove into Arizona.

Highway 93 was reopened after the incident.

Jenn Deak was in the visitor center of Hoover Dam about to watch a video on the structure before taking the tour when she heard a security officer yell, “Halt.” It is unclear who the officer was addressing.

Shortly after she heard security yell, Deak and what she said were another 50-100 people on the tour were evacuated from the dam.

Tours were suspended until further notice, according to a Bureau of Reclamation tweet.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.