One dead after fire in Provo; authorities say home should not have been occupied

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PROVO, Utah — One person has died and another suffered smoke inhalation after a fire at a home in Provo, and authorities say the home should not have been occupied.

A tweet from the fire department said the fire occurred at 1440 S State State.

"We do have an adult female that's a fatality. The other occupant/owner, not sure what the relationship is, he was able to make it out. However, he's got some smoke inhalation that we're trying to get him to go to the hospital for," said Capt. Dean York, Provo City Fire Department.

York told Fox 13 the home is a total loss and the fire is not suspicious, but arson investigators have been dispatched to the scene.

"We have both our fire marshal's office here - Provo - as well as the state fire marshal's office, along with their arson dog to come down. It's not suspicious at this time, but you just want to make sure you're dotting all the Is, crossing all the Ts to rule that out as well," York said. "That would be just standard procedure for a fatality in a fire."

Provo Fire officials said later Friday the deceased is a 48-year-old female, and the body has been taken to a medical examiner's office. They said the woman may have had some kind of health issue that contributed to her inability to exit the structure.

Authorities also said two pet dogs were killed in the fire.

The power to the home was disconnected Tuesday, and Provo Fire and Rescue said the home should not have been occupied. They also note the structure did not have working smoke alarms.

The damage to the structure is estimated at $200,000.

Watch Fox 13 News and for updates.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.