Gas leak temporarily repaired after natural gas explosion evacuates Orem strip mall

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE: Orem Fire stated that as of 4:34 p.m. Thursday the gas leak has been temporarily repaired and there is "no further public hazard."

Orem Fire says Dominion Energy remains on scene making repairs and State Street was reopened around 5 p.m.

Previous story continues below:

OREM, Utah — A natural gas explosion and fire evacuated Orem businesses near 800 S. State St. Thursday.

Orem Fire Battalion Chief Ryan Peterson said construction crews hit a large gas line at about 2 p.m., evacuating the strip mall.

As of just before 4 p.m., Orem Fire Department said the gas leak remains active and crews are still on scene to mitigate the threat of fire.

Peterson said electrical equipment sparked a fire outside which spread inside the building causing smoke damage.

The building's exterior was damaged as well.

The fire stopped traffic on State St. near 1200 S.

No injuries have been reported.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.