Personal chef to the stars in Park City, Jenna McGregor, shared her recipes for Turkey Burgers and Carrot Ginger soup. To see more from Jenna go here.
5-INGREDIENT ROASTED CARROT GINGER SOUP
PREP: 15 MINUTES
COOK: 40 MINUTES
TOTAL: 55 MINUTES
Roasting the carrots brings a nice boost of flavor to this super-simple, scrumptious vegetarian soup plus it’s gluten free!
- 6 cups baby carrots or approx. 6 large carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 pounds of carrots)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place carrots in a large bowl and drizzle one tablespoon of the olive oil over the top. Toss to coat and add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon curry powder. Toss again. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake, stirring/flipping every 15 minutes or so, until tender and browned in spots, about 30-40 minutes total. Remove from oven and let cool a bit.
- While the carrots are cooking, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until just beginning to brown, about 8 – 10 minutes. Add the ginger and the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for five minutes until ginger is tender. Remove from heat.
- When both the roasted carrots and the broth have cooled somewhat, add the carrots to the broth. Working with a blender in batches, puree the soup and return it to the pot; or use an immersion blender directly in the pot. Please make sure your soup has cooled enough to safely puree!
- Place pureed soup over medium heat and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and stir in the heavy whipping cream. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
Curried Turkey Burgers
1 lbs ground turkey breast
1/3 cup minced green onions
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (might could sub parsley or mint if you really dislike cilantro)
1/3 panko breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced (could probably sub 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp curry paste or curry powder
2 Tbsp mango chutney
1 Tbsp harissa seasoning
extra virgin olive oil for brushing
5 hamburger buns, toasted if desired
sliced red onion
slice fresh tomato
Harissa mayo optional (recipe below)
- In a large bowl, combine ingredients ground turkey through harissa and form into 4 patties.
2. Brush patties with a little olive oil. Heat a skillet or grill pan and cook patties 5-6 minutes on each side over medium-high heat or until cooked through.
3. For serving, add lettuce, sliced tomato, mango chutney, red onion and harissa mayo on a toasted hamburger bun with the patties and enjoy!
*To make the harissa mayo, combine 1 tbsp harissa sauce, 1/3 cup plain mayo, 2 Tbsp mayo. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over burgers.