SANTAQUIN, Utah - A Santaquin dog at the center of a year long legal debate may have been poisoned on Halloween.
“He had puked a lot, and pooped blood,” said Lindsy Bray, Dexter’s owner.
Dexter is a five-year-old Australian shepherd. In October of 2016 a judge ruled he should be euthanized after biting a teenage girl. According to the police report, the bite did not break skin. Bray, along with the Humane Society of Utah, have been fighting the ruling ever since. Both sides will make their final arguments in court on December 11th.
In the meantime, Dexter is on a slew of medications, trying to recover from ingesting what veterinarians at West Mountain Veterinary Hospital in Payson say is likely an exposure to d-CON rat poison.
“This is where he plays and this is the back fence line and this is what I was most worried about,” said Bray while standing in her backyard.
She says the family does not have a rodent problem and does not own any types of rat poison. Her backyard is guarded by a six foot vinyl fence, but on the other side is a popular ATV trail. She believes it is likely someone threw the poison over the fence.
“I haven’t had the heart to tell my kids what possibly could have really happened to him, they just think that he got really sick, cause I don’t want them to do know people do bad stuff like this,” said Bray.
The Humane Society of Utah is offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to a conviction. Anyone convicted of poisoning an animal in Utah may face up to a year behind bars and/or a $2,500 fine. Anyone with information can call Santaquin Police at (801) 754-1070.