WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — Several homes were evacuated and an elementary school was closed for the day due to a gas leak in West Valley City.
According to the West Valley City Fire Department, officials have closed 3100 S between 4400 W and 4700 W. Some homes in that area were evacuated and Monroe Elementary School, at 4450 W 3100 S, was closed for the day.
The evacuated students were taken to a nearby ward building for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to a Facebook post by the Granite School District. The church is located just north of the school, at 4424 West Courtney Drive. All of the school's students are safe and accounted for, the school district said.
The school district urges the parents/guardians of Monroe Elementary students to pick up their children at the church at their earliest convenience, as school will not reconvene Tuesday.
Message from Granite School District:
PATRON ALERT- Monroe Elementary has been evacuated by emergency personnel due to a gas leak in the neighboring area. All students are safe and accounted for and have been taken to the LDS church just North of the school.
Parents should come to the church to pick up their child at their earliest convenience as school will NOT reconvene today. The address is 4424 West Courtney Drive in West Valley City.
SINCE 3100 SOUTH IS BLOCKED OFF due to emergency responders, parents should access the church via Alpine Meadows Drive which is approximately 4380 West.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING IDENTIFICATION in order to pick up your child.
Thank you in advance for your patience as we work to keep your children safe. Please call 385-646-4529 if you have any questions in the meantime (as the school's phones are not accessible).
West Valley City fire officials urge the public to avoid the area as crews work to fix the leak.
Watch FOX 13 News and fox13now.com for updates.