Doctor Mark Jensen answered some questions and talked to us about the health benefits of an abdominoplasty surgery.
1. Who needs an abdominoplasty: someone with excess skin or stretched out fascia. Both stretched out skin and stretched out fascia can be caused by abdominal trauma related to child birth or massive weight gain and loss.
2. There are two parts to abdominoplasty: removal of excess skin and fat, and repair of loose fascia (repair of abdominal muscles).
3. Can these be repaired on their own? Diet and exercise particularly core strengthening exercise can help, but when the fascia and skin is stretched out too much, it will not return to normal without reparative surgery.
4. Who is a good candidate for abdominoplasty: The best candidate for surgery is someone who is overall healthy, is at a stable and normal weight, does not have a tremendous amount of intra-abdominal weight.
5. What are the risks of surgery: Infection, bleeding, DVT, scaring
6. What are the benefits of surgery: improved core strength, improved posture, smaller waistline with better fit in clothing. Improved hygiene and skin health. Can alleviate back pain. Reduces abdominal bulge.
For more information, click here. Make sure to check out Dr. Jensen's Instagram page for incredible before and after photos at @markjensenplasticsurgery