Hazmat crews neutralize spill at Hogle Zoo

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY — A small chemical leak caused a portion of Hogle Zoo to close Sunday morning, and a Hazardous materials team neutralized the product later Sunday afternoon.

At about 11:30 a.m., Salt Lake City fire responded to the zoo due to a five-gallon Hydrochloric acid leak, which was contained to the basement of the building that’s home to the lion enclosure.

“There was never a full evacuation of the zoo,” Salt Lake City fire stated in a tweet.

Fire crews stated around 2:30 p.m. that the product had been neutralized and the building was being vented. Firefighters were de-escalating the scene and officials from the Salt Lake County Health Department were on hand to oversee the proper disposal of the remaining product.

There were no reported injuries, and the animals nearby are safe.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.