3-alarm barn fire in Woods Cross determined accidental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WOODS CROSS, Utah — A barn fire in Woods Cross that destroyed $500,000 worth of property has been determined accidental, officials confirmed Monday.

On Aug. 5, South Davis Metro Fire was dispatched to South Redwood Road on reports of a barn and house fire.

The barn involved in the blaze contained 40 tons of hay and straw. Two semi-trailers, a passenger van and front-end loader were also burned, according to a press release from South Davis Metro Fire.

On the day of the fire, authorities say, workers of the farm were using a front-end loader to offload the straw from a flatbed trailer located at the northwest section of the barn.

As one bale of straw was lifted, the release states, workers noticed it was smoking.

“As they continued to life the bale, the twine binding the bale broke, which introduced air into the smoldering bale and caused spontaneous ignition,” the release states.

Some of the burning straw went under the front-end loader and the rest fell at the base of the barn. Flames immediately spread to the inside of barn resulting in the structure and front-end loader to be engulfed in the blaze.

No residents or workers on the farm were injured. No firefighters were injured.